From today, millions of Amazon customers can raise money for UK charities every time they shop at smile.amazon.co.uk. Customers who visit smile.amazon.co.uk will find the exact same Amazon they know and love. They’ll enjoy the same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience – but with an added bonus that Amazon will donate a 0.5% of the net purchase price of eligible products (excluding VAT, shipping fees, and returns) to one of ten charities that customers can choose from. The more customers use smile.amazon.co.uk, the more charities will receive in donations from Amazon, all at no additional cost to customers, vendors, sellers or participating charities.
“We’re offering a simple way for customers to support good causes ahead of the busiest shopping period of the year,” said Doug Gurr, UK Country Manager, Amazon. “Over time, we hope to see similar success here as in the US, where over $62 million has been donated to over 230,000 charities since launching.”
As of today, when customers visit smile.amazon.co.uk they’ll be asked to select which charity they’d like Amazon to donate to whenever they make a purchase. Customers can pick from a variety of causes including:
- British Red Cross – Enables vulnerable people in the UK and overseas to prepare for, withstand and recover from emergencies in their communities
- Cancer Research UK – Pioneering research to bring forward the day when all cancers are cured
- Magic Breakfast – Delivers healthy breakfasts to schools in disadvantaged areas of the UK, to ensure that no child starts their day too hungry to learn
- Marie Curie – Provides care and support for people living with any terminal illness, and their families
- The Royal British Legion – Provides lifelong support for the Armed Forces community – serving men and women, veterans, and their families
- Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital Charity – Provides specialist healthcare services for children and young people throughout the North West, as well as nationally and internationally
- RSPCA – Specialises in animal rescue & furthering the welfare cause for all animals
- Save the Children – Works to give children a healthy start in life, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm in the UK and around the world
- Scottish Women’s Aid – Working towards the prevention of domestic abuse in Scotland
- Stonewall – Campaigns for the equality of lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans people
Rebecca Mauger, Director of Fundraising at the British Red Cross, said: “We believe small acts of kindness can make a huge difference. Working with AmazonSmile provides a new way for people to support the Red Cross, helping us reach even more people in crisis in the UK and overseas.”
“We are proud to be a beneficiary of AmazonSmile and offer Amazon customers a simple and regular way to support us,” added Ben France, Head of Corporate Partnerships for The Royal British Legion. “The Legion’s work is made possible thanks to the public’s generous support and the money raised from customers using AmazonSmile will help us provide hope and support to the Armed Forces community wherever it’s needed.”
In early 2018, all registered charities in the UK will be invited to apply to be part of AmazonSmile, enabling customers to select more charities, small or large, local or national. To use AmazonSmile, customers simply need to start their shopping at smile.amazon.co.uk, and the charity they choose will then receive donations from Amazon based on a percentage of the shipped order total. For more information about how you can support good causes through your Amazon purchases, visit smile.amazon.co.uk.