Calavo Growers, Inc. , a global avocado-industry leader and provider of value-added fresh food, released the publication of its 2021 Sustainability Report: The Calavo Way, highlighting the Company’s commitment and progress on environmental, social and governance (ESG) initiatives.
“Over the last few years, teams across Calavo have worked to launch, improve and align sustainability activities to meet evolving customer, investor and internal expectations,” says Brian Kocher, CEO of Calavo. “The Calavo Way emphasizes that sustainability is embedded into all our decision-making processes, whether they occur within our own facilities or extend to our partners. It is gratifying to see the progress we have made, and to know that more is yet to come.”
Calavo is proud of its ESG track record and accomplishments. Recent achievements highlighted in this fourth annual sustainability report include:
- Hired a new corporate officer with a formal responsibility for ESG
- Enhanced ESG data management systems
- Replaced propane forklift fleet with electric models
- Installed LED lighting upgrades at all value-added distributor facilities
- Participated in local energy demand response programs
- Recycled 49,380 tons of materials formerly sent to landfill
- Increased starting wages in our Mexican Operations to be at least 49 percent higher than minimum wage
- Integrated sustainability and financial reporting meeting new stakeholder requirements
- Initiated a strategic review of ESG programs to develop vision for next ten years
The 2021 report is prepared according to Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB) best practices for corporate sustainability reporting. It builds on a previously established sustainability framework and introduces Calavo’s five core values – Quality, Innovation, Respect, Drive and Stewardship.
Calavo’s full sustainability report can be found on the company website at www.calavo.com/sustainability