In an effort to promote careers in safety and address an expected shortage of safety professionals in the workplace, the National Safety Council is awarding 13 scholarships to students interested in the field.
The 2019 scholarship winners are:
- Ciara Bazinski: Oakland University (Congress & Expo Scholarship)
- Orji Chidiebere: University of Central Missouri (Congress & Expo Scholarship)
- Patrick Delvernois: Indiana University of Pennsylvania (Congress & Expo Scholarship)
- Alexander Hall: Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (Congress & Expo Scholarship)
- Madison Layton: University of Findlay (Congress & Expo Scholarship)
- Vishal Dipak Nathu: University of Cincinnati (Congress & Expo Scholarship)
- Michael Victor Owen: West Virginia University (Congress & Expo Scholarship)
- Ryan Papiernik: Oakland University (Congress & Expo Scholarship)
- Lurri Schoenrock: Columbia Southern University (Billy D. Young Memorial Scholarship)
- Emily Rae Seiler: Millersville University (Women in Safety Scholarship)
- Maryam Sheikh: New Jersey Institute of Technology (Congress & Expo Scholarship)
- Victoria Ann Simpson: The University of Toledo (Congress & Expo Scholarship)
- Julia Waszyn: Indiana University of Pennsylvania (Billy D. Young Memorial Scholarship)
In September, each scholarship winner will receive a fully-funded trip to the 2019 NSC Congress and Expo in San Diego, the world’s largest annual event dedicated to workplace safety. In addition, Seiler will receive a $5,000 academic scholarship, renewable for up to four years, and Waszyn and Schoenrock will each receive a $2,000 scholarship.
“We are honored to grant scholarships to this outstanding group of students interested in safety and related careers,” said Lorraine M. Martin, president and CEO of the National Safety Council. “It is students like these who will become the much-needed safety leaders of tomorrow. We can’t wait to see what they accomplish.”
The 13 scholarship winners were chosen via selection committee. The Congress and Expo Scholarship was first awarded in 2017, while the Billy D. Young Memorial Scholarship, funded by the NSC Construction and Utilities Division, was restarted last year. The Women in Safety Scholarship was first awarded last year.
Applications for 2020 scholarships can be submitted to the National Safety Council Aug. 16, 2019, through March 31, 2020. For more information, visit nsc.org/scholarships.