New England Biolabs (NEB®), a leader in the discovery and production of enzymes for molecular biology applications, today announced it has become a Certified B Corporation™ (B Corp™), joining a global community of people using business as a force for good™. With this certification, NEB becomes one of only a select few life science organizations to be recognized for its commitment to environmental stewardship and social responsibility.
B Corps are for-profit businesses that meet the highest verified standards of social and environmental responsibility. To become certified, a company must complete a rigorous assessment verified by B Lab™, scoring more than 80 points on impact areas that include governance, workers, customers, community and the environment. To date, there are more than 3,800 B Corps in 150 industries and 74 countries around the world.
“Since NEB was established, we have always placed the advancement of science and the stewardship of the environment as our highest priorities. We are honored to be recognized for our efforts to further advance environmental stewardship and social responsibility by achieving B Corp status,” said Jim Ellard, CEO of NEB.
“This achievement was a natural next step forward for our company,” said Ellard. “We are committed not only to further reducing our environmental impact but, just as importantly, to improving the well-being of our employees, surrounding communities and the life science industry. We hope to see more science organizations join us in this endeavor.”
“It’s companies like New England Biolabs, whose focus on their employees, customers, community and the environment, that truly define a B Corp,” said Pooja Dindigal, Business Development manager at B Lab. “As one of the first biotech companies to achieve B Corp status, we are excited to welcome NEB to the B Corp family and watch them as they continue with their commitment to these values.”
Since its founding, NEB has been committed to improving its impact on the local community, the environment and its employees through initiatives that include:
- Establishing the first shipping box recycling program in the U.S. in 1976
- Commissioning the design of a modern 140,000 square foot LEED® (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design)-certified laboratory at NEB headquarters in Ipswich, MA
- Hosting science education days for local students and teachers
- Establishing the Passion in Science Awards® to recognize scientists who are committed to making a difference through their science, service, stewardship and artistic endeavors
- Founding the New England Biolabs Foundation (NEBF) to foster community-based conservation of landscapes and seascapes, and the bio-cultural diversity found in these places
- Supporting art-based schools and organizations within the local community and overseas
- Offering benefits such as onsite childcare and paid time-off for community service days
- Offsetting our carbon footprint through reforestation efforts in Costa Rica and the establishment of solar panels on the NEB campus