Del Monte Foods (U.S. subsidiary of Del Monte Pacific Limited, Bloomberg: DELM SP, DELM PM), one of the nation’s largest producers, distributors, and marketers of premium quality, branded food products, announced the release of its first Sustainability report today.
The Del Monte Foods 2018 Sustainability Report reflects the company’s most relevant environmental, social and governance (ESG) topics. The report focuses on four vital pillars: food chain transparency, caring for Earth’s goodness, nurturing people, and investing in the future of food. Using this roadmap, Del Monte Foods prioritized direct actions within each of the key pillars in order to enhance society, care for the environment, and provide for the longevity of the business.
“By nurturing all that is good in our products and in our business practices, we can fulfill the needs of today’s families while creating a sustainable business for the future,” said Greg Longstreet, President & CEO, Del Monte Foods, Inc. “Our 2018 Sustainability report showcases how we are performing on an array of important social and environmental initiatives.”
The report, which openly shares the company’s sustainability objectives, progress, and way of working, is further evidence of the importance Del Monte Foods places on transparent business practices.
“As a Del Monte grower, I know the company has the highest standards in the industry,” said Jim Mortenson, of Mortenson Brothers Farms, Inc., a vegetable grower for Del Monte Foods.” “Narrowing the gap between farm and table is critical. This report sets out in clear terms the full scope of what the company does to achieve that. Del Monte keeps customers informed about what’s in their food, how it is grown, and how it is packaged and transported to the point of sale.”
Highlights of Del Monte Foods’ Sustainability achievements:
Creating a Transparent Food Chain: Connecting consumers and ensuring integrity
- In FY2018, all Del Monte Foods facilities achieved an A or AA rating following an audit that was part of the Global Food Safety Initiative.
- Thanks to the careful farm to factory product monitoring, in less than 4 hours Del Monte Foods can track the source of all ingredients using electronic tracking.
- “Growers of Good” is a Del Monte Foods initiative that includes an Agricultural Transparency Project. The aim is to demonstrate transparency from farm to table; as part of this, Del Monte is introducing some of its farmers from more than 900 family farms through ‘Meet our Growers’ activities.
Caring for Earth’s Goodness: From roots and soil to water and climate
- 98% of Del Monte tomato growers utilize drip irrigation for targeted application of water and fertilizer.
- Since 2015 Del Monte Foods has eliminated 2.3 million miles from its distribution network, saving the equivalent of about 390,000 gallons of diesel fuel.
- Del Monte Foods is committed to reducing freight’s environmental impact. The company is a participant in the US EPA’s SmartWay public-private program that measures and benchmarks freight transportation efficiency in an effort to improve supply chain sustainability.
- Del Monte Foods has recently become a member of the Sustainable Packaging Coalition® and its How2Recycle® initiative, designed to broaden the understanding of packaging sustainability and develop meaningful packaging improvements.
Nurturing People: Our employees, growers, and communities
- In FY2018, Del Monte Foods donated more than 8 million pounds of food – and gave $760,000 to local community groups.
- Del Monte Foods quickly mobilized to deliver 1 million pounds of food (18 truckloads) in less than 3 weeks to regions affected by Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria, working in partnership with Feeding America and American Red Cross.
- Del Monte donated a combined 60,000 pounds to the victims of Hurricane Florence in Raleigh and Hurricane Michael in Alabama through Feeding America. Del Monte partnered with both Feeding America and American Red Cross to support the Paradise, CA community.
Investing in the Future of Food: Through a healthy portfolio, product integrity and innovation
- New Del Monte Fruit & Oats is the first ready-to-eat oatmeal with a full serving of real fruit. It is a good source of fiber and contains 20g of whole grains.
- Del Monte’s Fruit Refreshers® product earned Product of the Year/Healthy Snacks category in the Consumer Survey of Product Innovation awards, based on results of a Kantar TNS 40,000-consumer survey on product innovation.
- The majority of Del Monte’s produce is picked and packed on the same day: 97% of Del Monte products are preservative-free.
The Del Monte Foods 2018 Sustainability Report covers fiscal year 2018, and includes locations in the United States, Venezuela and Mexico. As Del Monte Foods is a major subsidiary of Del Monte Pacific which is listed on the Singapore Exchange (SGX), the report aligns with the Sustainability Reporting Guide and Rule of the SGX. Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Sustainability Reporting Standards were followed throughout the report, including a complete GRI Index.
View the full Del Monte Foods 2018 Sustainability Report here.