PRSSA, the foremost organization for students interested in the public relations and communications fields, announced today the election of its 2020–2021 National Committee following its Leadership Assembly, which was held virtually on April 23 as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. The Assembly was initially set to take place April 16-19 in Scottsdale, Arizona.
More than 110 universities from around the world were represented during the virtual meeting. Under the circumstances of COVID-19, the election process took place remotely and all candidates running for office were required to send their nomination form and a video of their speech to PRSSA National. Candidate videos and forms were then shared with delegates for review. The National Committee also gave delegates the opportunity to send questions, which were then answered via video Q&A sessions with each candidate.
“This year’s National Assembly was not without its challenges due to the current coronavirus crisis,” said Jeneen Garcia, Executive Director, PRSSA. “While I know we were all looking forward to coming together in person in Scottsdale this year, I’m so proud of our students and speakers who rose to the occasion and quickly adapted to our first-ever virtual meeting and remote elections. This is what PRSSA is all about – quickly learning, adapting and leading the way.”
The 2020–2021 National Committee, which begins its one-year term on June 1, will be led by National President Carolyn Lok. She is currently a junior at the University of Florida with a major in public relations and a minor in leadership. Lok previously served as vice president of digital communications.
“I’m extremely honored to have been elected as National President,” said Lok. “While these are unprecedented times, I have the utmost faith that the incoming Committee will bring the change and leadership needed to unite our members. I look forward to giving back to a Society that is invested in shaping the future of tomorrow’s leaders.”
New National Committee members also include:
• Immediate Past President: Nicholas Goebel, University of Florida*
• Vice President of Brand Engagement: Zach Ferenchak, Capital University
• Vice President of Career Services: Zane Landin, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
• Vice President of Chapter Development: Tiffany Ellington, Arizona State University
• Vice President of Digital Communications: Kathryn Belanger, Sam Houston State University
• Vice President of Diversity and Inclusion: Haniya Shariff, Temple University
• Vice President of Events and Fundraising: Rachel Meltzer, The University of Oklahoma
• Vice President of Member Services: Jenna Newman, University of Delaware
• Vice President of Professional Development: Rachel Kimmel, Ohio Northern University
*This is a regular transition from the presidency
“Transitioning our Leadership Assembly and elections online was not easy, but I am incredibly impressed with everyone that helped make the process as flawless as possible,” said Goebel. “Every candidate gave it their all and each delegate kept the best interest of our Society in mind. As always, PRSSA made this challenge an opportunity to lead and succeed.”
To find Carolyn Lok’s speech to her fellow PRSSA members, click here.