In celebration of Giving Tuesday and the season of giving, Smile Train, the world’s largest cleft organization, launched its new “Give Smiles” campaign to help more children around the world smile and live happier, healthier lives.
As a part of the campaign, Smile Train will roll out a series of testimonial videos that highlight a few of the organization’s passionate supporters. In the unscripted videos, each supporter gives viewers insight into their personal connection with cleft and what ultimately inspires them to give smiles.
“We are so excited to celebrate Giving Tuesday and launch our new Give Smiles campaign,” said Susannah Schaefer, CEO of Smile Train. “Our hope is to raise awareness and inspire giving to help children with untreated clefts around the world receive life-saving cleft surgery.”
As a part of Giving Tuesday and the season of giving, a number of Smile Train supporters from around the world will be joining in the celebration. Below, please find an overview of key activities which Smile Train undertook
- Miss Universe Organization (November 21): To kick-off Giving Tuesday, Smile Train hosted an event with the Miss Universe Organization titleholders in Las Vegas. The Miss Universe contestants joined Smile Train in spreading smiles across the world by helping children living with untreated clefts in the developing world see their new smiles for the first time. The contestants participated in an activity where they decorated handheld mirrors for Smile Train’s patients who have undergone cleft repair surgery. The mirrors will be given to the patients so that they can see their own beautiful smiles for the first time post surgery.
- Journey of Smiles to India (November 28): Smile Train is hosted a cocktail event at their headquarters. The event showcased the organization’s new 360° virtual reality experience to India where viewers saw the journeys of Nisha and Vikas firsthand as they make their way to new smiles.
- Devin Thorpe’s ‘Streamathon’ (November 28): Smile Train’s CEO, Susannah Schaefer participatied in a livestream on Giving Tuesday hosted by Devin Thorpe. The ‘streamathon’ was live for 24 hours on Giving Tuesday, and Susannah was live at 11:45am EST where she talked about Smile Train’s unique model, and the organization’s plans for Giving Tuesday. Devin Thorpe is a journalist, author, professional speaker, and founder of the Your Mark on the World Center, a mission-driven business working to solve the world’s biggest problems.
- Chef Katsuji (November 28): Smile Train partnered with BRAVO’s Top Chef Contestant, Chef Katsuji, to raise awareness and funds for children with untreated clefts. Chef Katsuji kndly donated 20% of the proceeds from his restaurants on Giving Tuesday to Smile Train. Restaurants included: Mexikosher-NYC and Mexikosher-LA.
- Celebrity Culinary Event (November 28): In partnership with Glad, and their Glad-to-Give holiday campaign, Smile Train Philippines hosted a celebrity cooking event with Filipina TV personality, Danica Sotto-Pingris. Dubbed “Spread Smiles This Holiday”, the afternoon cooking affair aimed to teach the participants fun and exciting dishes they could easily prepare for their different reunions with their loved ones. Proceeds from the class will benefit Smile Train’s local programs in the Philippines.
- Marian Rivera and Kultura (November 28): TV personality, actress, and Smile Train Ambassador, Marian Rivera, has partnered with Kultura, a chain of stores that specializes in locally-made products (from decors to jewelry, from clothes to souvenir items) as their new Brand Ambassador. As a part of her partnership, Kultura will give a portion of the proceeds made on Giving Tuesday to Smile Train.