FIFA must protect human rights by securing binding safeguards from 2030 and 2034 World Cup bidders – new report

FIFA must rigorously and transparently ensure that bids to host the 2030 and 2034 men’s World Cup tournaments fully safeguard human rights and reject any offer that risks abuses once again tainting the world’s largest sporting event, Amnesty International said in a report issued recently. The report, Playing a Dangerous Game? Human Rights Risks Linked to the 2030 and 2034 FIFA World Cups, assesses the human rights risks related to the bids – a joint offer from Morocco, Spain and Portugal with additional games to be played in Argentina, Paraguay…

Read More

Designit joins the fight against hate speech with new project

A booklet providing people in Norway with tips and practical advice on speaking out against hate speech has been created by Designit, the Wipro-owned global experience innovation company, together with Amnesty International, the Norwegian Human Rights Institution (NIM) and diversity, inclusion and mentoring experts Catalysts. Distributed to public sector organisations – such as schools and local authorities – as well as the private sector, the booklets are part of the ‘Silence Hurts’ campaign in Norway. The campaign was launched following research from Amnesty, Catalysts and NIM that showed that 56%…

Read More

Amnesty International launches book ‘Images of Rebellion’, a testament to civil resistance

Amnesty International has published the book Images of Rebellion, an extraordinary visual compilation that chronicles and celebrates the defiant spirit of civil resistance in Cuba. The book contains a poignant selection of the more than 21,000 letters and drawings sent to Luis Manuel Otero Alcántara, Cuban artist and prisoner of conscience, in a global outpouring of support. Images of Rebellion is a call to action and a vibrant reminder of the ongoing struggle for human rights and freedom of expression in Cuba. Its 132 pages portray inspiring instances of mobilization…

Read More

Amnesty slams TV ad ban: ‘Human rights are not political’

Advertising clearance agency Clearcast says Amnesty International’s work on protecting human rights is ‘political’ Latest advert featuring Olivia Colman and Adrian Lester on perils of mould infested housing will not be broadcast as a result ‘Clearcast are themselves politicising these fundamental issues’ – Sacha Deshmukh Amnesty International UK has sharply criticised the advertising approval agency Clearcast for preventing Amnesty from screening adverts on human rights issues. Amnesty had sought permission to broadcast an advert purporting to be a trailer for a supposed new drama starring award-winning actors Olivia Colman and Adrian Lester. The…

Read More

TWITTER: Anti-LGBTQ+ hate speech surging on platform under Elon Musk

Social media giant Twitter is failing to protect LGBTQ+ organisations and those advocating for the LGBTQ+ community from online violence and abuse, according to a new survey from Amnesty International USA, the LGBTQ+ media advocacy group GLAAD and the US LGBTQ+ advocacy organisation The Human Rights Campaign. The survey found that harassment of LGBTQ+ activists has intensified since Elon Musk acquired Twitter last October. In the survey, 60% of respondents reported they’d experienced an increase in abusive and hateful speech on Twitter since Musk took over as CEO. The other 40% said they’d…

Read More