STMicroelectronics, a global semiconductor leader serving customers across the spectrum of electronics applications, announced the publication of its 2020 Sustainability Report. The 23rd report contains details and highlights of ST’s sustainability performance in 2019 and presents the Company’s ambitions and longer-term goals for 2025 in alignment with the United Nations Global Compact Ten Principles and Sustainable Development Goals.
“Sustainability is one of the three pillars of ST’s value proposition. It is fully embedded in our company DNA and in the daily operations of ST’s 46,000 outstanding employees, who are once again proving their resilience, creativity and commitment to our communities in these challenging times.” said Jean-Marc Chery, President and CEO of STMicroelectronics
2019 highlights included
- Included in the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices World and Europe;
- Accelerated our efforts to address climate change challenges and achieved our goal of reducing our GHG emissions per unit of production by 21% compared to 2016, six years ahead of our 2025 goal;
- Reused, recovered, or sent for recycling 94% of our waste, remaining on track to reach our goal of 95% by 2025;
- Classified 62% of our new products as responsible (products that have the greatest positive impact on the planet and society), an increase of 24% compared to 2018;
- Increased our engagement score with 77% of our employees recommending ST as a great place to work;
- Covered 100% of our 11 main manufacturing sites with RBA audits, all scores above the industry average;
- Strengthened our STEM program for inspiring the next generation with 83% of our community initiatives dedicated to education;
- Enrolled more than 8,000 human resources staff and managers in a Diversity and Inclusion awareness training program in 2019;
- Strengthened our supplier audit program with the RBA standard and methodology deployed across our supply chain in order to engage them in doing business responsibly; 99% of new suppliers screened on social and environmental criteria.
ST was one of the first companies to commit to the United Nations Global Compact in 2000 and as a signatory, the report represents the Company’s ‘Communication on Progress’ as well as the efforts to support the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDG’s).
The report has been prepared according to the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Standards: Core option. To ensure accuracy and transparency, the report is independently assured by DNV GL, a third-party auditor, who reviewed and validated ST’s data reporting process, content, adherence to GRI Standards and interviewed external stakeholders.
The 2020 Sustainability Report (2019 performance) can be viewed and downloaded here.