All P&G’s Family Care products are made with 100% certified pulp, sourced from responsibly-managed forests. Charmin and Puffs are also Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) and Rainforest Alliance certified. For every tree we use, at least one is regrown. We will go even further to increase acres of certified forests, strengthen certification globally, and accelerate research into alternative fiber approaches.
“We applaud P&G for increasing its commitment to using FSC-certified fiber in its iconic consumer products,” said Corey Brinkema, President of FSC US. “This new demand will help justify to landowners the value of FSC certification, delivering positive impacts to forests in the Southern U.S.,” he added.
Among the new commitments, P&G Family Care will:
- Work with experts to increase the number of forest acres that are FSC-certified in the U.S.and Canada. We are committed to nearly double our use of FSC-certified fiber to 75% across all P&G Family Care brands in the next five years.
- P&G will also partner with FSC Canada to protect caribou as outlined in the new FSC Canadian Forest Management Standard. This standard has been recognized by many NGOs for protecting caribou to the highest level available, including references from the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) in 2019 and the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) in 2018 and 2019.
- We will preferentially source from suppliers who partner with us on the protection of caribou and respecting the rights of Indigenous Peoples.
- Invest a total of $20 million dollars by 2025 to accelerate research into non-wood fiber alternatives and FSC certified, fast growing fibers. Our goal is to develop fibers that are consumer preferred, sustainably sourced, and can be produced at scale. We will work with external experts to strengthen these efforts and find disruptive solutions. We aspire to include greater than 50% of these environmentally preferred fibers in our products.
- Help the Arbor Day Foundation plant 2 million trees via their California Wildfire Restoration project. Our support will help to restore forests that have been devastated by wildfires.
- Use 100% recycled fiber in our fiber-based packaging by 2025. Fiber based packaging is the best way to re-use fiber while creating a product that people prefer.
“When you use our paper products, you are making a responsible choice,” said Rick Mcleod, Vice President, Family Care Product Supply. “The new goals we have outlined reflect our commitment to go beyond, creating lasting solutions that have a greater positive impact on people, forests and the world.”
These commitments will help ensure the preservation of forests now, and into the future.
Learn more at: https://www.charmin.com/en-us/about-us/sustainability.