MediaMath, independent advertising technology company for brands and agencies, have released the findings of a custom Forrester Opportunity Snapshot study called “Confident Media Spending Requires A More Transparent And Addressable Supply Chain”, commissioned by MediaMath, highlighting the issues facing programmatic buying and the programmatic media ecosystem. The study shows that only 33 percent of marketers say they can demonstrate and report the financial return on their programmatic media spend completely and accurately.
The commissioned study conducted by Forrester Consulting included insights from 221 U.S. decision-makers across four key verticals who influence or direct their companies’ digital media buying strategy. The research found that as the advertising ecosystem becomes more complex, brands are facing scrutiny over media spend, are unable to confidently quantify the effectiveness of that investment, and are challenged by media supply chain concerns while operating on programmatic platforms.
In today’s constantly evolving media landscape, consumers are exposed to more content than ever and increasingly demand more relevant, creative and unobtrusive ads. However, ad tech vendors have not done enough to address marketers’ needs for a more accountable, addressable and aligned supply chain. To build this kind of environment involves co-creating with partners throughout the ecosystem. The study’s results illuminate what marketers need to navigate the transformations within the programmatic ecosystem and consumer behaviors to confidently exercise their media spends.
“MediaMath’s core mission is to create an accountable, addressable and aligned digital supply chain through the SOURCE ecosystem that eradicates the fraud, discrepancies and lack of transparency in the programmatic ad tech,” said Joe Zawadzki, Chief Executive Officer and Founder of MediaMath. “This research highlights the challenges faced across the entire industry and proves the solutions and relationships of advertising’s past will no longer empower its stakeholders to confidently execute their digital media strategies.”
Marketers Are Pinched Between Executive Scrutiny and a Murky Media ROI
- 94 percent of marketers face executive scrutiny over how digital media spend is performing yet only 33 percent of marketers say they can demonstrate and report the financial return on their programmatic media spend completely and accurately
Regulations and Incompatible ID Tools Are Viewed as Challenges to Addressability
- 55 percent of marketers think consumer privacy restricts programmatic buying addressability, or the ability to reach the right people
- 45 percent of marketer’s struggle to maintain scale in third-party-cookie-restricted environments
Marketers Need Transparency and Addressability to Increase Effectiveness of Ad Spend
- 48 percent of marketers say having less visibility into costs and fees is contributing to less transparency in the digital media supply chain
- 55 percent of marketers attribute the lack of transparency in programmatic buying to data silos within buying or selling systems
“The ad tech industry is at an inflection point, and this research sheds light on the real challenges faced by marketers today,” said Eleni Nicholas, CCO of MediaMath. “We continue to evolve to address the shifting needs of our clients, and to deliver on our mission of uniting the ecosystem. For example, as consumer behavior has shifted in recent months, we have committed to providing our clients with a competitive edge in the CTV space with transparency, addressability, accountability and, most of all, brand performance.
To see full findings from the study, please visit here.